Translate

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Larry hunkered down to...


Larry hunkered down to take the weight off his feet and knees. He slumped over in pain. The woman got up and started looking at the ever-growing giant ball of gaseous sand and boiling salts.

She repeated her question: "What is that?"

Larry managed to answer, "I am not sure, but I think it is boiling silicon-dioxide with some dirt tossed in. You know what glass is right?

She nodded.

"Well this could also be glass as a gas."

"You're kidding?"

"Nope. Unfortunately my house is a high energy electrical lab and I think something I was doing may have caused this. It wasn't just me though, it started when the underground electric box in front of the house started spewing the most amazing array of sparks. I don't know when that was. I was hit by a loose wire and passed out." He pointed down with a nod of his head to show her he was bleeding at the waistline.

The woman wanted a better view of the dangerous globe, she started to move away so she could see better.

The hot ball started burrowing further into the ground. As it did so the electric wire it had joined with was being pulled taut as it was running out of extra length.

The ball had changed colors, turning a deep orange when it first connected with the wire, then expanding, then turning a wild cobalt blue, then red and blue, then, now, getting white hot.

It sank further. Larry started to move slowly away from the dome of destruction. He found himself at the curb to the street, and edged down into the street. The woman was peering around the corner of the house. A long snake of arc lightning flew off the ball doing an S turn vertically above the ball and then whipping around the ball in a giant circle, hitting the ground, hitting Larry's house, hitting all the houses all the way around it. The woman turned and headed back towards Larry.

"You're nuts," she said.

"I have my moments," he thought quietly to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment